Tehseen Akhtar, the alleged mastermind of several terror attacks including the blasts targeting Narendra Modi's rally in October, was arrested on Tuesday.
The 23-year-old expert bomb-maker's arrest has allegedly left the terror group, Indian Mujahideen, without a head in India. Tehseen had allegedly taken over as its chief after the arrest of Yasin Bhatkal in August.
Tehseen had given investigators the slip several times in recent months. Police said the Indian Mujahideen was planning a big terror attack, possibly to coincide with the general election next month.
There was a reward of Rs. 10 lakh on Tehseen, who allegedly planned the serial blasts in Patna just before Mr Modi's rally on October 27, in which 6 people were killed and over 80 injured.
Tehseen, also known as Monu, is suspected to have a played a role in the 2010 bombing in Varanasi, a cooker bomb blast outside the Jama Masjid in Delhi last year, the 2011 serial blasts in Mumbai, the 2012 low intensity blasts in Pune and the twin bombings in Hyderabad last year. Almost 45 people were killed in these attacks and over 200 were injured.
The tech savvy alleged terror operative, believed to be the son of a chemist from Samastipur in Bihar, had allegedly been tasked with recruiting young men for terror in Bihar.
The police say Tehseen's arrest means the end of the Indian Mujahideen's operational wing in India. The terror group was dealt a huge blow by the arrest of Yasin Bhatkal.
Three top Indian Mujahideen operatives - the Bhatkal brothers, Riyaz and Iqbal - and Amir Reza Khan are said to be in Pakistan. The Indian Mujahideen was allegedly founded by Riyaz, Iqbal and Yasin, all of whom belong to the Bhatkal town in Karnataka.