The siege laid by the opposition parties on the Secretariat has been called off following an offer from the Government to institute a judicial probe into the solar scam.
Earlier, some Left leaders had rejected the offer from the Government and reiterated the call for the resignation of the Chief Minister.
However, a public meeting of main opposition leaders including Pinarayi Vijayan and V S Achuthanandan called off the siege even though they maintained that smaller protests would continue to oust the CM.
The announcement was made after summoning all protestors to the main gate where the stir had been launched on Monday.
A sitting High Court judge would lead the judicial probe and the Government is to make a request in this regard to the Chief Justice soon. Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said that the Government would make an official announcement regarding the decision in the next cabinet meeting.
The CM said that the offer is being made without any conditions and called on the Left to withdraw their agitation immediately. He also said that his government was ready to discuss the terms of the probe with the opposition and urged them to use the chance to air their grievances.
Chandy also said that the solar scam investigations so far had not referred to his office adversly. He also reiterated that the solar scam had not caused a loss to the government, however negligible it might be. He also said that all involved in the case would be brought before the law. The UDF meeting was attended by all members of the UDF and senior leaders.
Meanwhile, the chargesheet in the solar scam could be submitted tomorrow