New plans are in the pipeline for the improvement of security and facilities for pilgrims visiting Sabarimala. The Travancore Devaswom Board Technical Committee has submitted recommendations in this regard before the Higher Authority Council formed for executing Sabarimala master plan. It is also mentioned in the report that these plans are to be implemented before next pilgrimage season starts.
The report contains 24 suggestions, recommending extensive developments from Pampa till Sanctum Sanctorum (sannidhanam). The main recommendation of the committee is the construction of 24 queue complexes from Saramkuthi till Marakkoottam. Each complex which can accommodate 1000 pilgrims should be having toilet facilities along with facilities for taking rest. Another important recommendation is to make ‘Nadappanthal’ to a double storied structure following Tirupathi model.
The report also suggests the renovation of ‘aazhi’ (fireplace) and ‘bhasmakkulam’ based on ‘vasthushasthra’ , and to get the opinion of ‘vaasthu’ consultants regarding shifting of ‘appam’ and ‘aravana’ counters to another location. Report also mentions that the possibility of rope way and project for increased water supply from Kunnar dam to be given for consideration before the Environmental Study Council.
Other major suggestions in the report are mentioned below:
1. Oxygen parlors and bio urinals at every 100 meters should be established on the traditional route and the Swamy Ayyappa road.
2. Temporary modern sheds to be constructed at Pampa for ‘annadanam’ and for hotels.
3. Security complex at Pampa to be expanded by placing metal detectors and scanners.
4. Centralized Electrical substation to be established at Pampa
5. A new system has to be implemented for supplying drinking water with dry ginger (chukka vellam) for pilgrims.
6. 10 sheds to be raised at various places so as to accommodate 8000 people.